An emotive and poignant journey through the countryside of Northern France, dotted with war cemeteries and memorials for those who fell in ‘the war to end all wars’.
Insight Vacations has been creating magical experiences for travelers for over 40 years. When you travel with Insight, you not only visit incredible places, but connect with them, in an authentic way. Let them share their passion with you and take you on an unforgettable journey. They’ll immerse you in unique experiences and introduce you to amazing people. The magic begins here!
AAA Member Benefit
$40 Optional Experiences Voucher
Save 7.5% per person when you book and pay in full by February 27, 2020.*
- Insight Experiences: We connect guests with local characters who really bring a destination to life. With more thoughtfully selected, premium experiences included, we proudly provide the value they deserve.
- Deliciously Authentic Dining: Guests are immersed in the heart and soul of a destination and its people
- Travel & Stay in Style: Hand-picked hotels are always in the right locations-be they central or scenic- and journeys are enjoyed on our exclusive 40-seat customized coaches with twice as much legroom, so that guests can stretch out in comfort and admire the view.
- Smaller Group Camaraderie: With never more than 40 and an average of 32, our groups are just the right size. Large enough to bring like-minded guests together and small enough to travel with ease.
- Passionate Travel Directors: Experts at delivering seamless, magical travel experiences, they receive outstanding feedback from our guests.
- Vimy Ridge: Visit the Canadian National Memorial, dedicated to a battle that defined Canada as a nation. Your Local Expert will share stories of the battles that once raged here, as you explore the well-preserved 100-year-old trenches.
- Somme Battlefields: Venture through the battlefields of the Somme as your Local Expert explains how brave soldiers fought tirelessly for five months.
YPRES BATTLEFIELDS AND LILLE.
Depart Le Méridien Etoile Paris, at 09:00 bound for Flanders Fields. Visit the Ypres Salient battlefields, including Hill 60, Polygon Wood, the Passchendaele Memorial and Tyne Cot Cemetery. In the town of Ypres, hear the Last Post sounded at the Menin Gate. Continue to your hotel and join your Travel Director for a Welcome Drink.
FROMELLES AND VIMY RIDGE.
See the Australian cemetery of Fromelles, commemorating one of the darkest days in Australian military history. Continue to the Canadian National Memorial at Vimy Ridge, dedicated to the battle which became a defining moment for Canada as a nation. Take in a visit to the trenches preserved just as they were during the Great War with a Local Expert, who tells stories of battles that raged the now silent pastures. Continue to Amiens and perhaps visit the impressive cathedral?
DAY 3 – RELAXED START
THE BATTLEFIELDS OF THE SOMME.
Meet your Local Expert to explore the key battlefields of the Somme. Visit the Lochnagar Crater, the South African and New Zealand Memorials at Longueval, Newfoundland Memorial and Museum and the Franco-British Memorial at Thiepval. Enjoy a stop in Albert to see the church and hear the legends of the Golden Virgin statue atop – once a beacon to many soldiers who passed through the town during the Battle of the Somme. Afterwards, explore Beaumont-Hamel, one of the largest allied offensives of the war, and return to Amiens where you will have the afternoon at leisure. Maybe do a little shopping or spend some time in the historic Saint-Leu district?
RETURN TO PARIS.
Visit the Australian National Memorial at Villers-Bretonneux and the Franco-Australian Museum in the local Victoria School. Stop to explore Le Hamel and then continue to Péronne. On return to Paris, a stop is made at Charles De Gaulle Airport. For those departing in the evening, please do not schedule flights before 20:00. Alternatively the coach will drop you at Le Méridien Etoile hotel.
Prices are per person, based on double occupancy. *7.5% Early Payment Discount: New bookings only. Prices are per person, land-only, and consider double occupancy (single supplements apply). Applies only to trips featuring the EPD in the price panel – see 2020 Insight Vacations Europe & Britain brochure for details. Based on availability, does not apply to all trips/departures, and may be withdrawn at any time and without notice. PAYMENT: A deposit of up to $200-$350 per person is due within 3 days of booking with full payment by 27 FEB 2020 or 60 days before departure, whichever is sooner. Further restrictions apply. Contact your Travel Advisor for details. CST No. 20687545-20.