Discover some of Europe’s prettiest towns and cities during this leisurely-paced trip. Austria, a landlocked gem in the heart of central Europe, encompasses a rich tapestry of musical heritage, glorious architecture, and stunning topography. The country’s picturesque cities, dwarfed by their grand Alpine backdrop, provide innumerable photo opportunities. While in Austria, explore Vienna’s famous St. Stephen’s Cathedral and the imperial Hofburg Palace, while your Local Specialists and Trafalgar Travel Director share expert knowledge about the history and architecture of each.
Then, travel south to the enchanting emerald green waters of Lake Bled, Slovenia’s most popular resort, located in the Julian Alps. Move on to pretty seaside villages along Croatia’s Dalmatian coast after some serious sightseeing in the European cities of Ljubljana and Zagreb. Take a walking tour through the pristinely beautiful Plitvice National Park, and spend a day relaxing on the island of Hvar, exploring the gorgeous coastline on foot. You may even choose to board a cruise to one of the other islands. You’ll have plenty of leisure time to explore, shop, or dine, and you’ll find a number of optional excursions for even more adventure.
AAA VACATIONS AMENITY
$80 per person optional excursion voucher**
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- 21 meals (13 hot buffet breakfasts, 7 dinners, and 1 lunch)
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Roundtrip ferry to the Island of Hvar in the Adriatic Sea
- Hand-picked hotels that ensure quality and comfort
- Hotel-to-hotel baggage handling
- Specially-designed Insider Experiences
- Optional experiences and free time
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- An expert Travel Director and separate driver
- All hotel tips, charges, and local taxes
- VIP entry to many attractions
- “Be My Guest” lunch cooked in a traditional style under a clay bell, using ingredients from the family’s farm
- One surprise Hidden Treasure
- Scheduled complimentary arrival and departure transfers by shuttle bus
- Local Specialists included for sightseeing in Vienna, Ljubljana, Plitvice National Park, Split, Hvar Island, and Zagreb
- City tours in Vienna, Ljubljana, Split, Hvar Island, Dubrovnik, and Zagreb
- See the Hofburg Palace and imperial boulevards of Vienna, the Clock Tower of Graz, the Opera House and Castle of Ljubljana, the Old City of Dubrovnik, the Archbishop’s Palace of Zagreb, the 16th century Cathedral on Hvar Island, Diocletian’s Palace in Split, and Plitvice National Park.
Welcome to Vienna. Spend the afternoon relaxing, or take a stroll to admire the spectacular architecture. In the evening, meet your Travel Director and fellow travelers for a Welcome Reception and evening orientation drive that provides the perfect introduction to this magical city.
Hotel: Hilton Danube (2 nights), Meal: Welcome Reception
Admire Vienna’s sights as you drive along the imperial boulevards with your Local Specialist. See the Opera House, Parliament, St. Stephen’s Cathedral, and the Hofburg Palace, and explore the oldest parts of the city near ‘Am Hof’ on your walking tour. Then, spend time sightseeing on your own or join an Optional Experience and visit nearby Bratislava. In the evening, consider enjoying a concert of Viennese music.
Hotel: Hilton Danube, Meal: buffet breakfast
Vienna, Graz, and Lake Bled
Heading south towards the Semmering Pass, stop to view the galleried courtyards and famous clock tower at Graz. Continue via the beautiful Austrian Riviera and cross the Slovenian border to arrive in Lake Bled, a beautiful glacial lake in the Julian Alps. A picturesque and serene escape set amid forests and mountains, this earthly paradise will be your home for the next two nights.
Hotel: Park Hotel (2 nights), Meals: buffet breakfast, dinner
Spend the day as you please, or explore more of the scenic surroundings by taking part in an Optional Experience.
Hotel: Park Hotel, Meal: buffet breakfast
Lake Bled, Ljubljana, and Plitvice Lakes
It’s only a short drive to Ljubljana, where your Local Specialist will show you the sights—including the Opera House, Cathedral, National Museum and Castle, and Three Bridges Square. Drive south to the Croatian border and through the forested National Park of Plitvice. Admire this spectacular UNESCO World Heritage site on your walking tour with your Local Specialist, where you’ll see lakes of crystal clear water in many colorful shades of green, gray, and blue, linked by spectacular waterfalls.
Hotel: Hotel Jezero, Meals: buffet breakfast, dinner
Plitvice Lakes, Split, and Hvar Island
Travel through scenic Croatian countryside to Split, the largest city in Dalmatia. Meet your Local Specialist for a fascinating tour of Diocletian’s Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage site built in the late 3rd and early 4th centuries. Visit the substructure before viewing the Cathedral and the Baptistery of St. John, which was once the Temple of Jupiter. Later, travel to the beautiful island of Hvar for a relaxing three-night stay.
Hotel: Amfora Hvar Grand Beach Resort (3 nights), Meals: buffet breakfast, dinner
This morning, enjoy a guided walking tour to the old town to see the 16th century Cathedral and loggia built by the Venetian architect Sanmicheli. For lunch, enjoy a very special “Be My Guest” dining experience at a rustic Konoba in a shepherd’s village overlooking the Adriatic.
Hotel: Amfora Hvar Grand Beach Resort, Meals: buffet breakfast, “Be My Guest” dinner
Hvar at Leisure
Today, you’ll have a full day to relax in beautiful Hvar. Enjoy the swimming pool at your hotel, explore the gorgeous coastline on foot, or consider joining the Optional Experience to visit the lavender fields and taste locally-produced wine.
Hotel: Amfora Hvar Grand Beach Resort, Meal: buffet breakfast
Hvar Island and Dubrovnik
Today, you’ll drive along the coast to Dubrovnik, the Pearl of the Adriatic, passing spectacular scenery that includes charming villages and sparkling views of the sea.
Hotel: Hotel Ariston (3 nights), Meal: buffet breakfast
This morning, join your Local Specialist for a small group walking tour of the main sights. Admire the Rector’s Palace, Onofrio’s Fountain, and the Franciscan and Dominican monasteries. Spend free time relaxing, exploring the lively market, or feasting on local seafood at a seaside restaurant. In the evening, enjoy a Regional Meal featuring traditional Croatian cuisine at a local restaurant.
Hotel: Hotel Ariston, Meals: buffet breakfast, Regional Meal dinner
Today, the choice is yours: stay in Dubrovnik or take an Optional Experience to Montenegro. Your Travel Director will be happy to suggest ideas for your itinerary in Dubrovnik. If you join the Optional Experience to Montenegro, you’ll see the only fjord in southern Europe.
Hotel: Hotel Ariston, Meal: buffet breakfast
Dubrovnik and Zagreb
Your Croatian adventure continues as you head north to the capital city of Zagreb, your home for the next two nights. In the evening, you’ll enjoy dinner at your hotel.
Hotel: Westin Hotel (2 nights), Meals: buffet breakfast, dinner
Zagreb Sightseeing and at Leisure
Zagreb is a traditional medieval European city with a wealth of historic monuments. Your Local Specialist will show you the highlights, including the upper and lower towns, the majestic Cathedral, the Archbishop’s Palace, St. Mark’s Church, and the Opera House. Spend free time exploring the winding city streets, or consider an excursion into the surrounding countryside. In the evening, celebrate your last night with a farewell dinner.
Hotel: Westin Hotel, Meal: buffet breakfast
Say farewell to your companions as this memorable trip comes to an end.
Meal: buffet breakfast
* Pricing is per person, land only, based on double occupancy, and is subject to availability. Price is based on 9/15/17 departure; other dates are available, but price may vary. Price in effect at time of printing and can change without notice. International airfare is additional. **AAA Member Benefit: $80 per person optional excursion voucher must be used on trip; cannot be transferred and there is no cash value if unused. Other restrictions may apply. CST#2077132-20