The aftermath of any disaster is incredibly stressful. While disaster recovery is a gradual process, these steps can help you get back on your feet faster and keep life going. Here’s what to do after a disaster.
After Disaster Tips
- List yourself and your family as safe on the American Red Cross website. Log onto any social media accounts you have and let your friends and family know you’re okay.
- Contact your insurance agent as soon as possible.
- Go to FEMA’s website or call 800-621-3362 to apply for assistance.
- Keep receipts for items purchased when you’re not able to access your home. These include toiletries, clothing, food and temporary housing. These expenses may be eligible for reimbursement under your insurance policy.
- When you’re able to return to your home, assess your property thoroughly and document any damage with photographs and notes.
- Be thoughtful about what you throw away. If it’s safe to do so, keep damaged items until your insurance company representative has assessed the damage and made a claim report. If you can, have your home inventory ready to help with the claims process.
Make Sure You’re Covered
To find out more about homeowners, condo, or renters insurance, contact your AAA agent or 1-866-222-7868 to learn more.